Frequently Asked Questions about Microdermabrasion:
Microdermabrasion has been used successfully for years in Europe and is now one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in this country. Our office uses the ExcellaDerm™ Microdermabrasion System because of its quality, dependability and results.
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive exfoliating procedure performed individually or in a series for revitalizing and maintaining the skin’s appearance and smoothness. It can be used to address problem areas on the face or body. One session generally takes 30 minutes or so. There is no special preparation before the visit nor any recuperation after.
A precise stream of very fine crystals is directed through the ExcellaDerm™ hand piece onto the skin to loosen the layer of dead skin cells that form on the surface. It then suctions away both the skin debris and the crystals to reveal fresh invigorated skin. Typically, only the uppermost layer of the skin, the stratum corneum, is removed. This is why there is minimal discomfort and virtually no recuperation. In select cases, however, a more aggressive abrasion may be chosen and appropriate aftercare will be. discussed
Patients have been thrilled with the effect ExcellaDerm™ microdermabrasion procedure has on:
- Improving dull or uneven skin color
- Relieving clogged pores and blackheads
- Softening general roughness or thickened patches of dead skin (e.g., elbows, feet)
- Refining the appearance of fine, crepey lines, large pores, acne, and hyperpigmentation
- Removing surface debris allows the skin to better absorb topical medications
- Increasing circulation for a natural glow
- The overall youthful appearance of their skin
Does this replace other procedures?
Microdermabrasion is a valuable skin care tool in and of itself but does not take the place of either laser procedures or therapeutic skin care products. Microdermabrasion is an excellent adjunct to other procedures.