Uneven skin tone is one of the most common skin problems that women of all ages experience. With the stress and exposure our daily activities give, it’s no surprise that the skin would be visibly affected. One of the main culprits of uneven skin tone and skin darkening is prolonged exposure under the sun without proper UV protection. As this is something very common that all of us face every single day, the demand for skin whitening creams have grown enormously in the beauty industry.
It is true that the right skin whitening cream can definitely help bring your natural even complexion back. However, with so much skin whitening and skin brightening creams available in the market today, how do you know which one is best for you? In this article, we will share effective beauty tips on choosing the right skin whitening cream for you from the view of beauty professionals.
Are Whitening Creams Safe?
There is a lot of controversy surrounding skin whitening products due to certain types of harsh ingredients used in them. It is true that there are a number of ingredients used in many skin whitening creams which are highly dangerous due to its toxicity. Here are two harmful skin whitening ingredients that you should watch out for:
- Mercury – this chemical element is widely-known to be toxic and carcinogenic. Due to its toxicity, this ingredient is banned in many different countries, particularly with regards to cosmetics. However, there are still a few skin lightening products out there that feature this ingredient. The reason why some products use it in their skin whitening cream is because Mercury disrupts the skin’s melanin which results to paler skin tone.
- Hydroquinone – the use of hydroquinone in skin whitening creams is quite common. Its safety is still pretty much debatable since its use can be regulated with the help of a dermatologist. Hydroquinone is a chemical complex—crystalline in form—that is often used in skincare products to remove pigmentation. Using high concentrations of hydroquinone can be toxic and can cause severe unevenness in complexion. This ingredients is banned in Europe
Skin whitening creams can be safe as long as you pay careful attention to its ingredients list. In addition to that, if you are aiming for a more intensive skin whitening treatment with the help of skincare products, consulting your dermatologist should help you figure which is right and safe for your skin type.
On the other hand, there are still lots of natural ingredients that can help you lighten and even out your skin tone. In the next subtitle, we’ll list down a number of natural ingredients that feature exceptional skin lightening properties while being very gentle to the skin.
Exceptional Ingredients that Whitens Your Skin the Natural Way
To give skin whitening a natural approach is one of the best and most ideal options to make sure you are using a skin whitening cream that is safe. There are a lot of natural ingredients proven to be very effective in lightening the skin. These natural ingredients work their way into the skin to boost moisture and nourishment that results clearer, fairer and more even complexion.
- Kojic Acid – this natural ingredient is derived from a fungus and blocks the enzyme tyrosinase—an important element in the production of melanin. Kojic Acid has been very popular in Japan since the early 90’s as a natural skin lightener. It is rich in antioxidants that work in complete synergy to help stop the production of melanin right at its root.
- Alpha-Arbutin – it’s a natural ingredient extracted from the leaves of bearberry plants. Apart from bearberry, Alpha-Arbutin can also come from blueberry, pear leaves and cranberry. It helps brighten up the skin tone by blocking melanin production and infusing the skin with antioxidants.
- Mulberry Extract – this natural derivative functions as an antioxidant that promotes skin metabolism and purity. It visibly whitens the skin and also lessens the appearance of freckles, increase skin flexibility, and deter wrinkling.
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids – it’s a natural ingredient mostly found in citrus fruits. It is proven to be an effective exfoliator which helps get rid of dead skin cells and brightens up the complexion as a result.
- Avocado Oil – used in cosmetics for its exceptional moisturizing effects. In addition to this, it is also known to reduce age spots, lessen sun damage, and reduce scarring.
According to Dr. Farid Mostamand, founder of Ageless Derma, “Premium natural ingredients in skincare products shouldn’t always be expensive. It can keep its top quality while being in a more affordable price if the brand cuts the middleman into the picture and delivers directly to the consumer.”
Understanding Your Skin Type
One important factor when choosing the right skin whitening cream for you is to carefully assess your skin type. When it comes to skincare products, most especially with skin whitening creams, not every single one can work on all types of skin. The first step is to understand your skin type.
Do you have dry, oily, combination or sensitive skin? Find a whitening cream that suits your skin type for a more desirable result. Apart from determining your skin type, you should also figure which skin troubles you would want to target: freckles, age spots, uneven skin tone, acne scars, etc. Knowing this will help you find the right level of concentration your skin would require. Always remember to consult your dermatologist with regards to special skin whitening treatments.Liquid error (templates/article line 10): Could not find asset snippets/relatedblogs.liquid